Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

what would YOU do?...

Friday night i went to bed fairly early, and was awoken at 12:45 a.m. to the sound of a woman's screams.  Delirious and still dazed with sleep, I thought i was dreaming.  Then I heard a man's voice, loud and full of anger, and i flew out of bed in sheer panic.  My wall mate was in the middle of a terrible argument, and I was totally freaked. I ran to Ava's room where Justin was sleeping {we have an arrangement that allows for Ava to sleep with her momma on weekends, and her bed on weeknights.  Thus,Justin was in her room.}  I woke him and told him that I was scared and thought i might need to call 911.  Explaining what I heard, he got out of bed to come and check it out. 
I was so scared that the man may have a gun, and could possibly hurt us in some kind of crazy crossfire.  So I scooped up Ava and put her in her bed.  I was shaking by this point, and the voice on the other side of the wall was louder and angrier.  He was yelling profanities, and it was followed by loud bangs against the walls.  I could tell if he was throwing things, hitting the wall, or hitting the girl who lives next to me.  I heard the girl cry out again, and I couldn't listen for another second. 
I called the police and explained what I was hearing.  I gave them my phone number and hung up, major knots now in my stomache.  Justin was concerned that they would come, and get no where.  That the man would find out we turned him in {and in all honesty, i don't think we were the only one's who heard}. Finally, we saw a police man walk up.  Two minutes later, a police car, firetruck, and ambulance pulled up with their lights on. 
The officers were arrested the man, and he tried to resist.  They brought the girl out on a stretcher :(  At this point, it was going on 2:30 a.m. I got about 3 hours of sleep before I was going again on Saturday.  We weren't home Saturday night. 
 When we got home Sunday, I could tell the woman was back at home, and I immediately got nervous.  Is she okay? Does she know I know? Where is the man?  Is he still in jail?  will he come back for her?
I don't know how to get any additional information about what happened on Friday night.  I don't even know if the man lives next door ( i think it was/is her boyfriend).  It  doesn't really bother me until I lay down to go to sleep at night, and then I start to worry.  How did she get in this situation? What can I do? How to I make sure that I am still protecting my family?  I need to make sure that Ava is safe when we are at home at night. We live in a nice apartment in a great neighborhood.  How does this happen next door? 
I'm sorry for the rambling.  I am just still bothered by this.  I wish I had more answers, so that I could know what additional steps I need to be making.  Any advice is welcome!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's scary, C! I hope the lady is ok!!! I guess I'd just be hyper aware of everything that's going on. You definitely have to keep A safe! Hopefully he won't be coming around any more - that's serious stuff being taken out on a stretcher! yikes!!!